Saturday, February 20, 2010

Tilting at Windmills or Righteous Service?

Welcome Karen Rice, a new fan & a neighbor here in NEPA. Karen is a fan at this site, on Facebook, and we follow each other on Twitter. But I believe she found me on another new site called NEPA Buzz. NEPAers are invited to post topics for discussion at NEPABuzz.com I've used it a couple of times and it seems pretty cool, well organized, etc.

Having received zero comments or responses to my previous entry: "Solving the Health Care Crisis at Home," I have to wonder if I'm being quixotic, or by Mr. Webster's definition, "foolishly idealistic."
Is believing that regular Joes & Janes like us can come together to begin to solve the health care crisis that the government seems unable to solve just as delusional as seeing windmills as giants who can be conquered for their riches?
For those unfamiliar with the classic, "Don Quixote," by Miguel de Cervantes, I'm referring to the title character. Slipping deeper into insanity, Quixote spies a field of windmills. He sees them as dangerous monsters who must be slain, not only for the immediate benefit of capturing their riches, but as "righteous warfare (and) . . . God's good service."
After all, being I'm the one whose dream it is to form a non-profit organization to address health and insurance issues, I have to reason that I'm not crazy (at least not in this instance!)
I also have to reason that every one out there has a busy life with dreams, responsibilities & important pursuits of his or her own.
With that in mind, I'll continue my quest to make a positive difference on the health care reform front. It's not going to be quick or easy. It may well take the rest of my life. But it's my monster/windmill, so I'll continue to confront it.
If any one out there has any ideas, resources, knows some one who might have helpful insights into this, let me know.
So far, I've decided to write to the PA State Medial Association to ask for help/ camaraderie/suggestions/direction. The Medical Association has established "Eight Essential Principals of Health System Reform," which seems sympathetic to patients. The Association seems very concerned with cuts in medicare payments, preserving the patient/physician relationship, and addressing physician liability.
I'm only at the tip of the iceberg, so to speak, but as I've stated before, the longest most arduous journey begins with one step.
I'm also working on forming a non-profit organization. My eventual goal is to raise money and to be a voice for change for people who can't otherwise afford health care.
In a world where an adulterous golfer is the lead story on every station from Headline News (HLN) to NPR (National Public Radio), and children die in misery and hunger by the tens of thousands each day while Hollywood and the world laud a fanciful movie that sports a half-billion-dollar price tag, maybe tilting at windmills isn't such a bad thing at all!
Have a great weekend! Tune in Monday for a new entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment