Friday, January 22, 2010

What's in a Name?

Welcome to The NEPA Follies.
"What's up with the name?"
"NEPA" stands for where I live, Northeast Pennsylvania.
I reason that "Follies" is a word that has been used to describe lavish theatrical productions, entertainment spectacles, such as the Ziegfeld Follies on Broadway during the first four decades of the last century.
My Follies may never be lavish or spectacular, but I will look for humor and goodness wherever one or the other can be found.
I aim to entertain, to build a following, to spark imaginations and to inspire people to speak up, to act up, to make a difference.
I'll also be addressing society-at-large, world events, subjects broader than those specific to NEPA.
I often imagine that if an individual who died 30 years ago came back to today's world, the poor soul wouldn't know where the heck he or she was. I hear my Grandmother's faint voice in my mind, echoing from the 1970s and the 1980s: "Heavens above! What is this world coming to?"
This world has come to some good things, but it's astonishing how many more bad things have come to pass. It's mind-boggling that greed and indifference and self-absorption have led to environmental and societal ruin. It's inexplicable that societies and governments around the world have ignored the blaring warning sirens of (at least) the past 40 years. I'll be writing about those issues, as well.
I hope you'll let me entertain you. I tell a good story, or so I've been told by several accomplished members of the fourth estate, and by the public in general.
More tomorrow! Be well and be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment